“‘Music is joy. Music is hope. I want to bring joy and hope to people all over the world!’ When I learned that I was selected as one of a Young Scholars, I felt so happy and excited because my dream – playing music for people all over the world – comes true! I am longing to learn from Lang Lang, and to make friends with other Young Scholars and students around the world by the same language – music. I hope other students will treasure the chance of learning and enjoy playing piano like me.”
Peter, 10, began learning piano at the age of 4 under the great care and mentorship of Ms. Wong Shui Ching, and later Dr. Karl Lo. Peter held a grade-8 piano certificate from the Royal Schools of Music at the age of 8 and is currently pursuing performance diplomas from Trinity College London. At the age of 9, Peter was accepted as a junior student major in piano, at the Hong Kong Academy for the Performing Arts. Most recently, he was selected as Young Scholar of Lang Lang International Music Foundation.
A fourth-grader at the Pui Ching Primary School in Hong Kong, he has been repeatedly awarded music scholarships from his school, performs in school recitals, and is serving as school choir accompanist. Peter’s first invaluable experience in music performance was gained by his participation in the “2014 CCTV Piano and Violin Competition, Beijing, China”, where he represented Hong Kong and was fortunate to be one of the twenty finalists. He gave a live broadcasting of works by Chopin on China’s CCTV-15 Music Channel and finally earned a high prize. At the end of 2014, Peter was honored to be invited to perform with the renowned piano superstar, Lang Lang, in the “101 PIANISTS” organized by the Lang Lang International Music Foundation, and to appear as guest soloists in multiple award presentation events.
Peter has taken part in many local and regional competitions and festivals, which not only widen his exposure in music, but also accelerate his artistic progress. He has recently received numerous awards, including:
- Winner Prize, 17th International Television Contest for Young Musicians, Moscow, Russia, 2016
- 2nd Prize, Piano Concerto – Betty Drown Memorial Prize (age 13 or under), 68th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2016
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, 67th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2015
- 1st Prize, Chinese Composers, Piano Solo, 67th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2015
- 1st Prize, Chopin Piano Sonatas, Piano Solo, Hong Kong Asia-Pacific Youth Piano Competition, Hong Kong Music Development Centre, 2015
- 1st Prize, Chinese Composers, Piano Solo, Hong Kong Asia-Pacific Youth Piano Competition, Hong Kong Music Development Centre, 2015
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, Hong Kong Golden Bauhinia International Youth Piano Competition, Hong Kong Golden Bauhinia Music Foundation, 2014
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, Tchaikovsky and Kabalevsky Piano Competition, Hong Kong Musician Association, 2014
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, the 7th Hong Kong Students Open Music Competition, Speech & Music Recital Development Foundation, 2014
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, the 5th Hong Kong Youth Virtuosos Piano Competition, Virtuosos Music Academy, Hong Kong, 2014
Aside from music, Peter loves Chinese Kung-fu very much. He is a three-time grand winner of the Hong Kong Wushu International Championship, specializing in dagger, sword, nunchaku, Shaolin boxing, and Taichi Fan. His other hobbies include singing, hip hop dancing, and Chinese water painting.