“‘Music is joy. Music is hope. I want to bring joy and hope to people all over the world!’ When I learned that I was selected as one of a Young Scholars, I felt so happy and excited because my dream – playing music for people all over the world – comes true! I am longing to learn from Lang Lang, and to make friends with other Young Scholars and students around the world by the same language – music. I hope other students will treasure the chance of learning and enjoy playing piano like me.”
Peter, born in 2006, began learning piano at age 4 and obtained the Grade 8 Certificate from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music at age 8 and the Performance Diploma with distinction from Trinity College London at age 10. In 2015, Peter was accepted as a junior piano student at the Hong Kong Academy for the Performing Arts, studying under Professor Eleanor Wong. In 2016, he was selected as Young Scholar 2016 – 2018 of the Lang Lang International Music Foundation.
A sixth-grader at the Hong Kong Pui Ching Primary School, he has been repeatedly awarded music scholarships from his school and is currently serving as school choir accompanist. Peter’s first invaluable experience in music competition was his participation in the “2014 CCTV Piano and Violin Competition, Beijing, China”, where he represented Hong Kong as one of the twenty finalists. In Dec 2014, Peter was selected to perform with the world-renowned pianist, Lang Lang, in the “101 PIANISTS” organized by the Lang Lang International Music Foundation. In 2016 and 2017, Peter was invited to attend master classes and to perform at the Oxford Philharmonic Orchestra Oxford Piano Festival in the University of Oxford, UK, and at the Midway Young Artists Orchestra Music Summer Summit in Chicago, USA. In October 2016, he performed as guest soloist at the Hong Kong International Piano Competition held in the City Hall of Hong Kong. On 30 June 2017, Peter performed with Lang Lang and the Chinese Kung-Fu star Donnie Yen in the extravagant gala “20th Anniversary of Hong Kong’s Return to China”, which was attended by the Chinese President Xi Jinping and the Hong Kong principal officials. In Dec 2017, Peter was honored to be invited to perform with Lang Lang at the University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Peter has taken part in many regional and international competitions, which not only widen his exposure in music, but also accelerate his artistic progress. His award highlights include:
- 1st Prize, Piano Concerto (age 13 or under), 70th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2018
- Winner Prize, 17th International Television Contest for Young Musicians, Moscow, Russia, 2016.
- 2nd Prize, Piano Concerto – Betty Drown Memorial Prize (age 13 or under), 68th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2016
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, 67th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2015
- 1st Prize, Chinese Composers, Piano Solo, 67th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival, Hong Kong Schools Music and Speech Association, 2015
- 1st Prize, Chopin Piano Sonatas, Piano Solo, Hong Kong Asia-Pacific Youth Piano Competition, Hong Kong Music Development Centre, 2015
- 1st Prize, Chinese Composers, Piano Solo, Hong Kong Asia-Pacific Youth Piano Competition, Hong Kong Music Development Centre, 2015
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, Hong Kong Golden Bauhinia International Youth Piano Competition, Hong Kong Golden Bauhinia Music Foundation, 2014
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, Tchaikovsky and Kabalevsky Piano Competition, Hong Kong Musician Association, 2014
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, the 7th Hong Kong Students Open Music Competition, Speech & Music Recital Development Foundation, 2014
- 1st Prize, Grade 8 Piano Solo, the 5th Hong Kong Youth Virtuosos Piano Competition, Virtuosos Music Academy, Hong Kong, 2014
Aside from music, Peter loves Chinese Kung-fu, specializing in dagger, sword, and Shaolin boxing.