Matthew Chan (陳柏衡)
“I have been very obliged and proud to be one of the Young Scholar’s in The Lang Lang International Music Foundation. This has not only enhanced my piano skills, but my musicality and musicianship as well. I really look forward to all the performing experiences, but especially to joining Mr. Lang Lang’s masterclasses. These experiences mean a lot to me and I am so honored and delighted to be invited to become a better performing artist.”
Matthew is 13 years old. Since Primary 3 onward, he has been serving the seat of honor of the senior school band and the piano accompaniment of Junior, Intermediate and Senior Choir. He graduated from Ying Wa Primary School. In the September 2013, he will be promoted to famous all round school : Diocesan Boys’ School
At the age of eight, Matthew has began learing the piano and he was admitted into The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, as a major study in clarinet. In the same year he was also admitted into The Hong Kong Children’s Choir.
In Nov 2013, Matthew passed Trinity ATCL Recital Clarinet. Next year April 2014 he passed Trinity LTCL Recital Clarinet.
In April 26 2014, he passed Trinity LTCL Recital Piano.
Matthew studied in the Hong Kong Children’s Choir in the ‘Concert Choir’, which is the best class in the choir. He learned music under the teachings of a well-known conductor, Ms Cathy Fok.
The following are some of the prizes that Matthew received in the past few years :
- 2012-2013 Sir Robert Blacks Trust Scholarships
- Achieving Golden Medal in Music at Project Talent Search of Gifted Education Council 2013.
- The First Japan – Hong Kong International Music Competition 2012 “The Third Prize”
- Awarded the “Espoir Prize” in the Piano Age-E2 Category of the 13th Osaka International Music Competition 2012.
- 21st Century International Arts Festival 2012: “Best of the Best Award”; “Golden Award”
- Musician of the year Award (awarded by Ying Wa Primary School)
- 2012 The 17th Hong Kong-Asia Piano Open Competition Mozart Chopin Prizes
- 5th Hong Kong Students Open Music Competition 2012 Clarinet Grade 8 (1st Place)
Hong Kong School Music Festival :
- 66th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Grade 7 Piano (1st Place)
- 66th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Piano Chinese Composers-Intermediate (2nd Place)
- 65th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Clarinet Senior Class (2nd Place)
- 65th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Grade 6 Piano (1st Place)
- 65th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Piano Chinese Composers -Junior Class (2nd Place)
- 64th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Clarinet Senior Class (1st Place)
- 63th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Grade 4 piano (3rd Place)
- 62th Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Clarinet Junior Class (1st Place)